LISTERINE® and the ADA Seal of Acceptance
LISTERINE® ANTISEPTIC IS THE ONLY NATIONALLY BRANDED OTC ANTISEPTIC MOUTHWASH THAT HAS EARNED THE ADA SEAL OF ACCEPTANCE TO PREVENT AND REDUCE PLAQUE AND GINGIVITIS1*
The ADA Council on Scientific Affairs has adopted specific guidelines to earn the ADA Seal of Acceptance for the Chemotherapeutic Products for Control of Gingivitis category.1
- 2 independent 6-month clinical studies, utilizing a placebo control, showing significant reduction in gingivitis for the test product vs the control2,3
- Data showing that plaque bacteria do not become resistant to the test product4
- Data showing that test product does not allow pathogenic or opportunistic plaque bacteria to flourish4
- Data showing that oral soft tissues and teeth are not harmed4
- Toxicology and mutagenicity studies to assess possible adverse effects at the cellular level4
The ADA sets high standards—including two 6-month studies showing a minimum 15% reduction in gingivitis and a mean of no less than 20% across the two studies—before awarding the seal.
The LISTERINE® Brand is proud to reach these rigorous and thorough standards set by the ADA. Additionally, the ADA has accepted LISTERINE® SMART RINSE® into its group of fluoride products permitted to bear the ADA seal.